15th Annual Southern California Slack Key Festival
DESCRIPTION Kala Koa Entertainment celebrates 15 years of bringing the biggest and brightest names in Hawaiian music to the mainland with the 2022 Southern California Slack Key Festival returning to the Redondo Beach Performing Arts Center on Sunday, January 16, 2022.
One of the most acclaimed Hawaiian concerts to ever leave the islands, the Southern California Slack Key Festival takes fans on a Hawaiian musical journey showcasing GRAMMY-winning slack key guitarists, the best hula dancers in the world, special guest performers and a free to the public Island Marketplace.
Since 2008, the Southern California Slack Key Festival has been the biggest Hawaiian music concert event in the mainland U.S. and features the most respected names in Hawaiian guitar music and hula today. Taking its name from a finger-picking style of guitar playing indigenous to Hawaii (as heard on the Grammy-nominated soundtrack for "The Descendants"), the Slack Key Festival brings the art of ki ho'alu guitar to Redondo Beach.
This year’s Southern California Slack Key Festival’s line-up includes George Kuo (available for live interviews/performing starting on January 14th - one of the last ‘elders’ from the Hawaiian music community along with his his rare double neck guitar), Jim “Kimo” West, Makana, Jeff Peterson, Kenneth Makuakane, Patrick Landeza & Sons, Ian O’Sullivan, Pomaika'i & Malie Lyman, Alan Akaka, Patrick “Kaipo” Asing
What is Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Music?
Played from the heart and soul through the fingers and flowing with vivid tropical images, Hawaiian ki ho'alu (slack key) is truly one of the great acoustic guitar traditions of the world. In slack key, some of the strings are "slacked" from the standard guitar tuning, with the thumb playing the bass notes while the other fingers play the melody and improvise in a finger-picked style.
How does the distinctive sound of slack key music fit into the fabric of Hawaiian music and culture? Watch this video and learn more about this beautiful generations-old art form – https://vimeo.com/155399448.
In addition to the concert, an Island Marketplace – free to the public – takes place from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Browse a variety of island themed gifts, home décor, accessories, apparel, and more. Plus, Hawaiian food, authentic island-style shave ice and outdoor entertainment.
When: Sunday, January 16, 2022;
Concert 2:00 p.m.; Free Island Marketplace 11:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
Redondo Beach Performing Arts Center
1935 Manhattan Beach Blvd (at Aviation Blvd.), Redondo Beach, CA 90278
- https://www.tix.com/ticket-sales/kalakoa/1723/event/1237315 or 800-595-4849
- slackkeyfest.com or https://www.kalakoa.com
- Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/socalslackkeyfestival
- Videos and Photos: http://kalakoa.com/slackkey/photo-and-video.html
Tickets: $20 - $55; VIP $135 includes premiere seating, mingling with the artists and includes ono food and giveaways; Island Marketplace is Free
Covid Protocol: Current state and county directives dictate the following safety guidelines for indoor events:
• Masks will be required at all times for all patrons and visitors regardless of vaccination status in all indoor spaces.
• All audience members older than the age of twelve will be asked to provide proof of vaccination status through a Personal Digital COVID-19 Vaccine Record issued by the State of California, an original physical COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card or a photograph of an original Vaccination Record Card. Trained staff will review your proof of vaccination when you arrive at the venue.
• Ticket holders under 12 or those who need a reasonable accommodation for medical conditions or sincerely held religious beliefs must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to entering the venue.
Ticket holders who do not comply with these policies will not be admitted and no refunds will be issued. These safety mandates will be re-assessed on an ongoing basis and may adjust as public health circumstances evolve (and hopefully drastically improve!).
Sunday, January 16, 2022
START TIME 2:00pm
END TIME 5:00pm
Redondo Beach Performing Arts Center
1935 Manhattan Beach Blvd